Given the fact that sequins date all the way back to the days of King Tut in ancient Egypt, it’s not surprising that we have been trained to associate them with all things over-the-top. And if you think sequins aren’t for you, please think again 🙏Read More
This past week I had the honor of hosting The Gracies Awards at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. The Gracies is run by The Alliance for Women in Media, an amazing non profit organization that puts young women in media at center stage. Together we used media to create positive change through supporting educational programs, public service campaigns and scholarships. For such an important evening I definitely needed a dress that would make an impact and was eye catching.
Luxurious. Thats the exact emotion that you feel when you put on an emerald green piece. A deliciously rich jewel tone, emerald can be flattering for just about everyone regardless of skin tone or hair color. This gorgeous form fitting Stello gown was one of those items that just speaks for itself. The way it hugs and squeezes all your curves in all the right spots gives you curves that even Elizabeth Taylor would be jealous of 🙏 😉
Keep scrolling down for Mai outfit specifics, and to shop similar looks👇
Shop Mai Look + Budget friendly Options
There has only been a few items that totally changed the style game as drastically as 2012's maxi dress. You know exactly what I am talking about: the extremely flattering cut and the body hugging magic that instantly gives you that Marilyn Monroe figure. Maxi dresses make you feel like a goddamn princess all summer long and can even be more comfortable than your fave pair of sweatpants. 👑😱 Which is exactly the reason why this ALC floor length dress was the perfect item to wear to one of the best restaurants spots in LA, Granville.
Granville is all about gourmet quality food, without being too pretentious. May I also add that Granville is SO Insta-worthy. The interior is stylish yet so comfortable, and every corner of this place is decorated so tastefully. Granville has locations all over LA, but the West Hollywood location may just be Mai personal favorite. Since the weho location is the flagship, it offers a more lit menu with more options that other locations don't have. 🙌 Yep, you heard it here.
Keep scrolling for all my outfit deets.
Shop Mai Look!
Why Hello Mai Babes. Today I'm feeling cool, calm, and collected in this outfit. I sort of think of it like this- Mai pants are definitely the 'cool factor'. They have a jean like look, but with a soft texture and some embellishment which adds femininity. Then I have Mai shirt. I LOVE a good tucked in collard shirt. So versatile and you always feel confident wearing it. (Can we say wearapy?) Its totally the calming factor. (Get it, the 'calm') and we can make it casual.. orrr to spruce it up. .... with some fun and flirty closed toed heels- which makes me feel collected with its sophistication (and how fun is the print!) Here's a couple of #MaiTips on how to get your look and feel cool, calm, and collected all day long.
- Stick with comfortable pieces that are not too small. Nothing makes us feel more uncomfortable than when we are out and about miserable while squeezing into a size too small.
- Add a pump with a casual pant. Want to feel 'collected' and not too casual? Add a signature solid pump or spice it up even more like I did with a geometric or colorful printed heel. Balancing the heel with a casual pant keeps you calm and comfy. (Ps sweats and heels are all the rage- don't we just love it!)
- Wear a cotton blouse. This will keep you cool (literally) all day long. Be weary of really pretty blouses that are all polyester. Their looks will fade, and their material will last a lifetime (of sweat). Cotton blouses are always the best for allowing your body to breathe :)
- Check out MaiLook below to see some fun similar suggestions that will keep you C C C all day long xx!
If only there were a way to take that cozied-up-at-home feeling out into the world...
HOLD up guys. There is.
The answer to our lazy-day prayers comes in the form of the sweater dress. And by NO means is this revolutionary, but the knit dress is so incredibly underrated. A sweater dress is practically a blanket you can wear out of the house while still gaining so many style points... ummm count me in (hand raised). So to the person who invented sweater dresses — I salute you. 🙌
The only issue with the sweater dress is that it can sometimes look too casual. But an easy way to class up a sweater dress and instantly transform it from a day sippin' on coffee to a night out for Old Fashioned's is by pairing it with some Over-The-Knee boots. I styled these bomb, unique, eye stopping Alexander Wang boots with my Kate Spade sweater dress to create the perfect balanced/comfortable yet super fashion-forward look.
Keep scrolling below to shop similar + budget friendly options 👇
Sweater Dress: Kate Spade
Boots: Alexander Wang
Shop Similar Looks Below 👇
There is just something so beautiful about blue. Can we all agree on that? I recently wrote a blog post about irresistible baby doll blue eyes and my look from the NAACP awards with Mai girls from The Real. I was honored to be chosen as one of the top looks that night by Buzzfeed.The cobalt blue dress I wore has become one of my all-time faves. Taking it from Red Carpet to The Real Carpet-- this seemed like a perfect dress to reminisce on that blue vibe. For such a 'cool toned' color, this dress sure felt hot! Check out Mai outfit details below to see other looks similar to this one.
- Mai Tip! Remember that old rule of thumb if you have blue eyes and blonde hair you can wear blue? And the brunettes and brown eyed girls should stick to red... well yeah, Mai tip is- forget that! Blue is a color that can be rocked by ANYONE with any skin hair or eye color. ;)
Dress; Isabel Marant
Heels: Zara, see similar below
You Guys! Some days I just love writing about Mai outfit. Today is one of them. We went 'black' to the basics. Jeans. Top. Tennis shoes. You just can never go wrong when you throw on the basics. But, it wouldn't be Mai fashion if I didn't spruce it up a bit. Want to spruce up your basic look? Check out Mai tips below. And be sure to scroll to the bottom to see different outfit options similar to #MaiLook
- If you're sticking to basic solids, find something with texture to spruce it up. A Yoke ruffled sleeve top or a solid t shirt with some cutouts takes any boring out of this basic look.
- Grab your metallics and run! Tennis shoes are no longer just for tennis... lets be honest, some of the cutest kicks out there right now are in the tennis shoe department. Switch up the plain jane shoes for some tennis shoes with metallic and match them to the hardware on your jeans or some fun jewelry and you will give Jenny from the block a run for your money.
Its so so so close. Summer that is, I can taste it! (well almost) And its ALSO Monday. Almost Summer + Monday means two things, easy and breezy! And there's nothing better than a one piece jumpsuit to handle the easy part (I LOVE when I can just throw on one piece of clothing and be done!) and for the breezy part- well these florals nailed it!Read More
People are continuously asking "Can you tell me how to make 'dressy' dresses appropriate for everyday?" Well yes, I can and I will 💁♀️ If you wanted to take a little black dress and make it appropriate for a Friday night out with the girls or a laidback sushi dinner date, keep reading below for a few of #MaiTips.
It's hard for a piece to feel sophisticated and genuinely fun to wear at the same time, which is why I am mad psyched that fringe is everywhere and inescapable this spring and summer. I have been so inspired by all the fringe I have been seeing this season that I definitely needed to rock a dress with fringe details for the Women's Choice Awards. I wore this dope Self Portrait dress because I wanted to go from classy on the carpet to fun on the dance floor 💃 And let me note, fringe always looks good on a dance floor 😉💃🏻
With the Billboard Music Awards this weekend, I am going to keep this trend going and keep my outfit deliciously playful. Keep scrolling below to Shop Mai whole look 👇 And stay tuned to see what I wear this weekend 😉
Okay Babes, TGIF. And by that, I mean were super excited its Friday so we've decided we're going to skip casual Friday, okay sort of. Wer'e still going to be super comfy, but were going to spruce it up with some BOSS stripes and metallic heels. Casual Friday can be tricky. You definitely want to stay stylish, but also celebrate the fact the weekend has arrived. Check out #MaiTips below for some TGIF Friday inspo
- Casual Friday used to mean jeans were allowed, a polo was maybe acceptable. With the trends and times changing, the new casual friday is more about 'comfort' rather than 'casual'. But comfort doesn't mean sacrificing your style... grab a pair of comfy sweats or cozy satin pants and spruce them up with a sultry top. 2017 is all about the mix and match.
- No time to change between work and play? Add a pair of heels to any style of pant to take it from a casual day at the office to a Friday to a night on the town!
Okay, do you ever have those days where you are like "What am I going to eat?" So you pull out the whole kitchen cabinet. But then it somehow totally works! Well, today is my 'kitchen cabinet' outfit -- and somehow it totally works! I wasn't sure if I was feeling sporty or fancy, but I know I am for sure feeling F U N so I thought I'd mix it all up. Let me know in the comments if you think it works! And check out #MaiTips below for bold and beautiful inspiration!
- Pick bright colors that compliment each other well. Sometimes, sticking with the primary color palette can be your best bet. A pale yellow can compliment a deep blue, but stick it next to black and you're looking like a honeybee. The same goes for Orange and Purple. Those two can be tricky to pair together. If you're ever in doubt, grab you phone and google the two colors together (for example orange and purple outfit) and see what you find. It can give you a good idea of how the outfit will look in different settings and if its a good match or not.
- All the colors of the Rainbow- Do you feel like you have a lot going on with your outfit and there is no going back? If thats the case don't be afraid to channel your inner rainbow on the outside - once you go (like I did) for all the colors, you're basically a ball of rainbow inspiration- and everybody loves rainbows right?
Keep scrolling to #ShopMaiLook
All the feels!! This ASOS floral skirt can brighten up anyones Monday. What's amazing is the endless possibilities to dress this skirt up down, from day to night. Check out #MaiTips below on how to pair up seperates so you can make the most of your wardrobe.
- Remember this : Your TOP tells a LOT. If you are going for a more casual look, pair your floral skirt with a cotton t-shirt or white tank. Work event? Keep it simple and classy with a basic high neckline. Headed to prom? A pretty, solid colored satin or velvet top will transform this look to give you all the fancy feels.
- Go nude! I've said it before, but you can NEVER go wrong with a nude shoe. Not only does it make MAI legs look longer, it gives a clean line and compliments the printed skirt. If you want something extra flirty and fun? A pair of nude heels with a little embellishment adds the perfect touch.
Heels: Alice + Olivia
No matter how gorgeous a garment looks draped in your closet, if it doesn't let you do NORMAL human-like activities like breathe comfortably, walk down stairs, it's not much more than a really pretty swath of fabric. The most effective fashion is as fetching as it is functional, and the best of that bunch makes you look superhuman while you're just living your life. Which is exactly the reason why I love skater dresses. See #MaiTips below on how I like to style the skater dress effectively.Read More
Jeans, the staple for every woman and mans closet. Have you ever tried out a raw cut denim style? Ankle grazing denim has because such a norm for me lately, that I can hardly remember a day that I didn't style one of these. Keep reading for a few of #MaiTips on how I like to style this funky new denim style.Read More
It's no secret that we love the '90s... who else agrees. Theres so many 90's trends But, the mother of all '90s trends will always be the plaid flannel. However, I like to mix up the 90's trends by adding a new twist to them. The plaid jumpsuit is definitely a very unique look so keep reading below for #MaiTips on how I like to style it.Read More
Orange is Back! More than just the New Black.
Okay, I know we are taking a serious risk here but did we not nail it? This color is rocking and not just behind bars. But it can be tricky, so follow #MaiTips below for some pointers on how to pick out everyones favorite mimosa colored outfit.
- Bright colors can be scary. Make sure you try on risky Colors like Orange in a natural light setting if possible. The natural light will give you an idea of how the color will look against your skin. Sometimes, false lighting can be misleading.
- Keep it Simple! Sporting a solid color like the one I'm wearing? Add some fun with a stylish pump or heel but don't go overboard, since the color orange is making a statement all on it's own. And make SURE to save your favorite pair of black pumps for another day (unless of course you want everyone to know just how much you love Halloween year round.
- Smile! Orange is such an uplifting FUN color. Have fun with it. The best accessory to your bright colored outfit is your bright self!